Friday, 7 April 2017

But I'm not enterprising! Am I??

Hi, my name is Wei Li Tung and I am a second year Psychology undergraduate.

This is for the novice and the curious wanting to gain exposure in business. Throughout my education years, I have never acquired enterprising knowledge.  I grew up in an environment where ‘Doctor, Lawyer, or Engineer’ was the career path to take. 

My transition from High School to University has been tailored to the science stream. I was clear of my direction. It never occurred to me to think about business. This wasn't me and I thought had nothing to do with my career. 


Until I came across ‘B Start Up Boot Camp’ at the University of Birmingham. 

What triggered me to get involved was not the £1000 prize (although I must say it is attractive), but to gain an insight of the enterprising world. 

For the first time, I was given the opportunity to think differently. I realised I wanted a change, a clean slate. I just wanted to explore what it would be like to have the mindset of an entrepreneur. 

I was fortunate to have collaborated with such a diverse group. 

Our challenge was ‘If you were given a square-mile of a desert anywhere in the world, what would you do with it’. 

I honestly have so much respect for my team mates and am really proud of our business pitch. Most importantly, I don’t remember the last time I was so engaged in something. 

Mohammed (Careers Network), David and Paul from Virgin and Matt Cleary (entrepreneur) were incredibly inspiring.

If I had to pick one thing which stuck to my mind most, it’s that I learned ‘If you don’t ask, you don’t get’. This event has definitely brought out the business mindset I never knew I could have, and I cannot recommend this enough to anyone.

The B Start-Up Boot Camp takes will be returning in February 2018.  Find out more about the Boot Camp.

Find other ways to be enterprising by visiting our B-Enterprising homepage.

Written by Wei Li Tung (Psychology Undergraduate)

No comments:

Post a Comment